Monday, January 24, 2011

Some Sleepy-Time Stories

Almost every person I've ever known has had sleep issues. Usually it's some form of insomnia, because that's what all the cool kids have nowadays. You aren't cool unless you're on your computer at 3am wondering why, in the harsh light of the monitor, your mind won't shut off and let you sleep.

Right now some of you are probably thinking "BUT I RLY HAF INSOMNIA! Y U DOUT MEE?!" and I don't care.

I don't often have a problem with sleeping unless there's something wrong. Migraines are really great at keeping me awake.

I certainly prefer to be awake early in the morning and late at night. I like to believe it's my Spanish heritage that makes me want to siesta. It's difficult for me to do anything between noon and three because really all I want to do is take a nap - especially if it's hot out. I'll sleep right through that if I have a choice.

When I was a baby my mom used to put my sister and I in the car and drive around until we fell asleep. This was great for her when she was a young parent and her daughters were being stubborn babies. This has had some strange side effects on me as an adult.

If I am riding passenger and I don't sit up straight I pass out. I could be really uncomfortable, just downed an energy drink or two and woken up for sleeping for twelve hours straight I will -still- konk out. It's not as bad when I'm the one driving.

Please note, I used the term "as bad". If I'm even a tiny bit sleepy my eyes will close, my head will droop and I won't even notice. There have been a few close calls. There have even been occasions when I looked up and I am ten miles past where I'm supposed to be and don't even know how I got there and time has magically jumped forward. It can be quite terrifying.

I still drive. So... beware I guess.

That's not the odd stuff though. I don't share a place with people anymore so I don't get as much feedback but here's a short tale to whet your appetite for coming blogs.

I was in Utah and spending the night with Moony. I woke up and my feet were on the pillow where my head used to be, while my face was by Moony's feet. I didn't think anything of it.

Upon waking I was informed that at some time in the middle of the night I had woken my friend by calling her name and grabbing her hand, while I was all flipped around so I was doing some crazy back bend exercise because obviously while I'm sleeping I lose the ability to look over my shoulder, looking at her as though what I had to say was very urgent.

Moony: What? What is it E?

E : I.... I like corn.

Then I went back to sleep.

It is true. I do really like corn.

-E

2 comments:

  1. I'm so never letting you drive again.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't pull that now. You've known me for years and you're still alive.

    -E

    ReplyDelete